How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who is currently incarcerated in the state

Customer Question

I have a friend who is currently incarcerated in the state of Florida. He currently has filed an appeal of his conviction based on questionable evidence, and the assistant state attorney (after getting various extensions) has finally submitted her reply to the pro se motion for post conviction relief. The state attorney's office has not been reliable as far as forwarding copies of her responses to my incarcerated friend, who is not in any position (obviously) to go to the office to obtain a copy. I went down to the Miami Dade county clerk's office to try and obtain a copy for him, but was told that the document was "still in court". How do I get a copy of the state attorney's response so my friend can have the opportunity to reply to her report before the judge makes a ruling on the appeal?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your friend's situation. Now, honestly, I do not believe that they were giving you the 'run around.' It takes several days for a pleading to be processed, scanned, and filed. In some counties, it can take a few days or even a week. It is not unusual to have a pleading unavailable.

In the alternative, the clerk may have meant that the pleading(s) were still part of the active case-file, but even then, this should not be unavailable, for it is public record.

So what is your best course of action? I would recommend getting him to fill out a Power of Attorney with your name, having it notarized, and getting him to send it to you after singing it. He should be able to get it relatively easy in the prison's law library. You would then have authority to request anything/everything that he could in the Clerk's office. Assuming that was the issue, this would cure it. If the motion really was simply being processed still, then it should be available by the time you come back with the POA.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.