How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is in prison and is soon to get out after a 10 year

Resolved Question:

My friend is in prison and is soon to get out after a 10 year sentence for being convicted of drug dealing/ according to him he has had no major infractions while incarcerated in the prison system and has been a model prisoner. He was in a program where he was allowed to work outside the prison as a landscaper with other prisoners on a work crew. Two weeks ago he was transferred to a new work crew with people that he was unfamiliar with; after his usual work shift two prison guards accused him of having contraband/tabbacco/ perhaps marijuana and showed him photos of the items he was accused of having but not the items themselves. The prison has since thrown him into a solitary confinement cell for over two weeks now and guards keep interogating him. My friend has no idea whose contraband is being held in solitary confinement without any representation or ability to use a telephone to contact a lawyer - but I am not sure what his rights are.....please advise. He is being held in Washington State near Seattle at an institution called Airway Heights Correction Center in Airway Heights, Wa. 99001
Thank you for any advice, LM Dawnes
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, prison discipline is not like being arrested by the police, he does not get a lawyer, they are not charging him with a crime, they are charging him with a breach of prison rules and there is no entitlement legally to an attorney or even a hearing. Unfortunately, he has no right to anything other than an appeal to the warden.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions