Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My 18-year-old son was stopped walking down the street last

Customer Question
night. A police officer pulled...
My 18-year-old son was stopped walking down the street last night. A police officer pulled over and arrested him for being under the influence of a controlled substance. My son has currently been detoxing on his own for about one week but also takes psychotropic meds for bipolar disorder that can cause unsteadiness, rapid heart rate, and dilated pupils. He was taken to the county holding facillity where they did a blood test for drugs and held him overnight. They denied him his evening bipolar meds. What happens if a week is not long enough and he still shows a positive blood test for drugs? He has a court date in December.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/5/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

If the tests come back positive, it is possible he could be charged with something like public intoxication (which is what I presume he's being charged with at some level right now). This is a misdemeanor, so depending on his record, he is most likely looking at probation or if he has a lengthy record, possible jail time.

I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!

Please also take the time to provide POSITIVE feedback. If you are not initially satisfied, please allow me to assist you until you are.

Thanks!

How can he get assigned a public defender?

When he goes to court for the first time, the judge will appoint a lawyer to represent him.
Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer