How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, As I said before, I got a ticket about shoplifting

Resolved Question:

As I said before, I got a ticket about shoplifting and I asked my questions and you answered them thank you about that, but I got a letter from Bennett law that says target corporation to pursue recovery of civil damages arising amount $500. what should I do now and how can I fix my problem?
thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
In many states the law allows the store to sue you civilly for shoplifting in addition to the criminal charges. This what they are doing.

It sounds like they are seeking an out of court settlement where you would pay them a certain amount of money and they would agree not to sue you. Only you can decide whether you should do that. You will need a lawyer in your criminal case. You should advise him/her of this letter.

If you think you have a defense or think they cannot prove you shoplifted, then you may want to fight it. Otherwise, it may be cheaper to settle and avoid potential additional fees for court costs and attorney fees. If you do settle on the civil case, do not admit liability if the criminal case is still pending so that it cannot be used against you in the criminal case.

Legal-Guru and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you