How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just pulled over in Bay County, Mi and recieved an open

Resolved Question:

I was just pulled over in Bay County, Mi and recieved an open intoxication ticket as a driver. The passenger also recieved a open intox. If i plead guilty and just want to pay fines how much am I looking at and is there anything else? Im oly 19 years old and i dont know whats going to happen. I would pay any kind of fine just wondering if court is mandatory.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Under which statute were you charged? It should appear as a series of numbers on the documentation you received.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the number is XXXXX(a) it looks like this on the citation but i have warning for an MIP it looks like there just charging me for the open intoxicant. Im just worried its going to effect my job.

Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying!

A violation of 257.624 is a misdemeanor (a crime), punishable by a fine of up to $100, community service, and substance abuse screening.

Unfortunately, a court appearance is generally mandatory for the charge and an individual cannot typically pay a fine and make the charge go away.
Sadly, even if an individual does plead guilty, the conviction will show on his/her record (meaning that doing so may or may not be the best move).
It's also important to understand that, even though the officer didn't site other possible charges, the prosecutor still has the discretion to pursue additional charges if he/she wishes.

Your next step at this stage is to immediately take the matter to your criminal defense attorney. Your attorney will evaluate any possible defenses (for instance, depending on the nature of the traffic stop, your attorney might be able to find a basis to suppress the evidence which could conceivably defeat the charges).
Even if a strong defense isn't available, your attorney may be able to negotiate something favorable, such as a withheld adjudication whereby a fine is paid, probation is served, and charges are dismissed.

I know that this may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
AttorneyTom and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you