Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

live in arizona had a procedure done in california received

a medical check to reimburse...
live in arizona had a procedure done in california received a medical check to reimburse the surgery center for 47000 and spent it all.
is this a felony in arizona?
what should i do. i want to pay it back but now it must come from my employment?
10/3/2011
It is not a felony, it is a civil breach of contract and you can be sued by the surgery center for the money and it cannot be extinguished in bankruptcy because it is a form of fraud by keeping money you were given to repay the insurance company. It is rare they would charge this as theft in AZ, but if they did it would be a felony because of the amounts and it could be punishable by up to 10 years in prison, but charges in this type of case is rare. The usual action is getting a judgment against you by the creditor in CA and they will garnish your wages and seize your bank accounts and could even seek to seize your property and real estate for the satisfaction of the debt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

one question i am a professional and can you tell me if i can expect a criminal record for this or best possible situation a garnishment
The criminal charges in a situation like this are extremely rare, it would in almost all likelihood be handled as a civil matter and a lawsuit against you which would lead to garnishment and seizure of assets, not a criminal record.
i already paid for this i was just rereading the response
No problem. Thank you
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer