How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118661
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Questions regarding NRS 205.130 Non Sufficient Funds Charges

Customer Question

Questions regarding NRS 205.130 Non Sufficient Funds Charges and warrants. I recently found out there were three outstanding warrants for me for three NRS 205.130 Non Sufficient Funds charges from 1999; after I requested an accident report number from a highway patrol officer, at the scene on the freeway; due to an object on the freeway lane, which caused damage to the vehicle I was driving. I was arrested, booked and released, after cash bail was posted for each of the amounts of the checks involved, plus some fees. I do not remember any details of these three Non Sufficient charges from 1999. I have catastrophic traumatic brain injuries. I am a resident of another state. There is a court date, scheduled in a couple of days. Are these charges serious? Does the Statute of Limitations apply to me and this situation? Should I disclose to the court, I have traumatic brain injuries? What can I expect, to happen to me, on the day of the court date? Will I be given a public defender? Is a public defender sufficient? Do I need a private criminal defense lawyer?  If yes, how and where do I find one?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, depending on the amount of these checks the charge could be a felony or misdemeanor and they are serious. You will be appointed an attorney if you cannot afford one (you will have to prove you cannot afford a private attorney before the court will appoint one to you and to find a private attorney you can use the same sites used by other attorneys, or On your first court date nothing more will happen than you will enter a plea of not guilty. You can likely resolve this matter without a conviction if you pay off the amounts due and your attorney can make this arrangement with the creditors to whom you wrote the checks and your attorney will get an affidavit of non-prosecution for you. Typically, even if the creditors do not dismiss the charges, the attorney will be able to negotiate some deal that will include probation and no jail time against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I request the court to pay the creditors, from the cash bail, I already paid/posted to the court or do I need to come up with additional/separate money, to pay the creditors?

If the creditors do not provide an affidavit of non-prosecution to dismiss the charges and my attorney is unable to negotiate probation without jail time, does that mean I will have a record of a conviction(s)? If yes, will I have more than one record of conviction(s), if there are three warrants?

If my attorney is able to negotiate probation, without jail time, will I still have a record(s) of conviction?

Is there a statute of limitations applicable to my situation?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your attorney can request that the creditors agree to be paid from the cash bail you posted, that is up to the creditors and not the court.

If your attorney is unable to negotiate to get the charges dismissed, then with or without jail time you would have a conviction record and you would have 3 convictions if all three creditors do not agree to dismiss.

Once a warrant was issued there is no statute of limitations that runs any longer.