How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can the police give a 20 year old an alcohol possession

Resolved Question:

How can the police give a 20 year old an alcohol possession ticket when he didn't possess any alcohol, but refused to blow in breathalyzer. He wasn't driving, it was at a football game.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Can you please provide me with more details about this situation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Thank you. He was tailgating at Indiana University. He walked to portapottys where undercover police were asking for ID's. He didn't have one with him and eventually told them he was 20. He didn't have any alcohol in his possession. They asked him to blow and he refused. Since he refused they said they could bring him to jail or write him a possession ticket. Of course he didn't want to go to jail, so they wrote him an underage possession ticket. But he didn't have any on him.

Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
It is basically the law for a person over 18 to have a valid government issued ID.

If someone is under age and suspected of being intoxicated, the under age person does not have to be driving in order for the police to request to administer a breathalyser to test to establish whether the under age person is in fact intoxicated.

Also if the police issued a summons to your son for underage possession of alcohol, he would have to contest it in court and I would suggest that he does consult and retain local criminal defense attorney to make sure that his legal rights are protected.

Also if your son feels that police officers acted unprofessionally or violated his rights, he can file a formal complaint against the police officers that he encountered with their respective police department.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you