Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I need to write a letter to a judge for leniency. It is my

Customer Question
9 year old daughters father...
I need to write a letter to a judge for leniency. It is my 9 year old daughters father and i really need to do what i can to help him be back in her life. he was a very good father and though he was caught up in the making fast money to help his family that live out side of this country he was a good person. he completed his ged while awaiting sentencing. with talking to him i know that he is very determined to start on the right track and continue his education and be a better role model for our daughter. I am not sure how to correcty write this can you please help. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Does he have an attorney?
yes and he asked family and friends to write a letter before sentencing.
Okay. You have to give the letter to the attorney. You should not give the letter to the judge as that can be a form of ex parte communication and the judge won't get it.

Your letter should be short. It should indicate how you know this person. What role does this person play in your family. What are the good things this person has done for your family. And what do you think is important for the judge to know about this person.

That's it.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Relist: Answer quality.
I am happy to assist you further. Please clarify: what additional information are you seeking?
I need to know how to write this letter correctly using proper format
Date:

To Whom It May Concern:

I have know [insert name] since [insert date]. We are [describe your relationship].

[Name of person] has a lot of positive attributes including [list them].

I do not condone what this person has done. It is wrong. However, before you pass sentence, I think it's important that you know [list good things].

Sincerely,
[insert your name]

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer