How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27197
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend and I got a summons for engaging in threatening

Customer Question

My friend and I got a summons for "engaging in threatening behavior" after someone said we slapped her son and we went to court yesterday and pleaded not guilty since we did not hit her son. The lawyer asked us if the police officer who gave us the summons and/or the mother was there when we "hit" him and neither of them were there and so that's what I told them. The date was adjourned and we have to go back to court in a few weeks. Do I need a lawyer? Or if we are found guilty will we have to pay a fine?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

You do not have to have an attorney but it is in your best interest to do so. If found guilty, you could face more then just a fine. You could be placed on probation and even be sentenced to jail time. While I understand that you did not hit her son, it may be a case which needs to go to trial. As such, unless you are familiar if the rules of criminal procedure and evidence, you may not be in the best position to represent yourself. If a perfect situation, the prosecutor would speak to the victim and any witnesses to try and see if they have enough evidence to proceed. However, this is not always the case and it may take trial to get you found not guilty and the case closed without a criminal record.

Related Criminal Law Questions