Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My friend and I got a summons for engaging in threatening

Customer Question
My friend and I got...
My friend and I got a summons for "engaging in threatening behavior" after someone said we slapped her son and we went to court yesterday and pleaded not guilty since we did not hit her son. The lawyer asked us if the police officer who gave us the summons and/or the mother was there when we "hit" him and neither of them were there and so that's what I told them. The date was adjourned and we have to go back to court in a few weeks. Do I need a lawyer? Or if we are found guilty will we have to pay a fine?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 6 years ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

You do not have to have an attorney but it is in your best interest to do so. If found guilty, you could face more then just a fine. You could be placed on probation and even be sentenced to jail time. While I understand that you did not hit her son, it may be a case which needs to go to trial. As such, unless you are familiar if the rules of criminal procedure and evidence, you may not be in the best position to represent yourself. If a perfect situation, the prosecutor would speak to the victim and any witnesses to try and see if they have enough evidence to proceed. However, this is not always the case and it may take trial to get you found not guilty and the case closed without a criminal record.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty