How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a call from man with an Indian accent, who stated

Resolved Question:

I received a call from man with an Indian accent, who stated his name was XXXXX XXXXX. He claim that had a Affidavit for my arrest on this Monday for a payday loan that I supposedly took a cash loan from US Cash loan in 10/09 and failed to pay. I did not take a loan out and I did not even have direct deposit in 2009 at my bank. He stated that I would be arrested on Monday. When I ask to see documents or why was I contacted earlier. He stated that I should have receive an email. This person had my personal information, which scared me. What should I do
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - This is obviously a telephone hoax or scam to try to get money. Even if you did owe the money you can't be arrested for a civil debt so the threat of arrest is totally bogus. You did the right thing by reporting this and you probably should also contact your local police department. Telephone harassment is a crime as is fraud so you need to be very careful if anyone calls again. I would not get into a verbal confrontation with them but immediately contact the police. This could also be a case of identity theft so you should make certain to notify your bank and credit card companies of possible fraud.

Private companies cannot get arrest warrants as these would be issued by courts.

Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you