How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son got in trouble when he was 12 and was charged with aggravated

Resolved Question:

My son got in trouble when he was 12 and was charged with aggravated incest. He was told by the court that when he completed his program and time that he would be able to get off the registry because he was a adjudicated. Now he is 24 and is still having to register and is having a hard time finding work and we can't live anywhere but slums. We don't have money and he just gets more and more depressed everyday as well as becoming a hermit. Is there anything at all we can do and how do we go about getting off this. He is being punished everyday for something he did as a child. We need help but we are completely broke.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The law has changed regarding registration of sex offenders and juvenile sex offenders. Under the Colorado Revised Statutes, even a juvenile who has been adjudicated of a sex offense must continue lifetime registration and the only way to do anything is seeking a pardon with full restoration of rights and then moving the court to release him from the sex offender status, which is rarely done in this day and age as sex offenses are a high profile social issue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So am I understanding you correctly that he will have to pay a lifetime for something he really didn't do but yet did when he was just a little boy and really had no idea what he was doing?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
For a sex offense, yes, I am afraid even juveniles must pay for the rest of their lives unless you can get him a pardon and a removal of the registration as a result, which is not going to be easy and will be costly to hire an attorney to attempt to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So all this time that we have been told all he has to do is go back to court you are saying it is not that simple? Do you happen to know what this will all entail and about how much we are looking at spending? I am a single mother and only make 13 and hr he has to live with me because no one will allow him to have a place of his own. He can't have a girlfriend because then he would have to explain to her what he did and he feels that would victimize his sister all over again. He thinks she has been through enough. The state and courts have victimized her way worse than her brother could ever have.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Not according to the current Colorado laws it is not that simple. If he cannot afford an attorney on this he can go to legal aid and also call the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorney in the area who can assist him. It is going to at the least involve filing a petition with the court for relieving him of this disability and depending on what happens in the court it may then involve him having to file for a pardon first (this is the general process without being able to read his case file).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you are being most helpful thank you for this. I never thought of going to state bar do you know how I might find that info? He has not been in trouble since and keeps stuck to the house so as not to involve himself with any kind of trouble what so ever. I have been going to school for criminal justice and now in colloge for court reporting so I feel it is time to try and take care of this. He wants to move on with his life and have somewhat of a normal life. His sister wants this too. I am not trying to minimize his offense in anyway but believe when I say he was really railroaded in this. His sister thinks so too. From what his siter tells me what happened and from what he tells me both stories are the same and it was absolutley incredulous that he is in trouble. However that is neither here nor there we can't go back. I just want to move forward and we needed a little hope and a push in the right direction we have been at a loss for so long. When the police come to our home to check on him once a month they are always asking when we are going to get him off of this. The officer that comes is really nice and on our side.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Here is the Colorado bar referral site

These sex offense cases are always very tough on everyone involved and more so when it is family involved.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions