Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

I want to buy a pistol in Maryland. I have a guilty verdict

I want to buy a pistol in Maryland. I have a guilty verdict (120 days not sure the length of the original verdict) on a misdemeanor drug charge (Marijuana) and a PBJ on a DWI that I served successfully. My question is can I buy a hand gun in Maryland? (I have a guilty verdict on a misdemeanor drug charge (marijuana).  I served 120 days (less for work release and good behavior) in the Harford County Detention Center.  I was part of the "Drug Court" program.  I also have a two year probation sentence for a DWI that I served successfully (this was PBJ.)  I would like to know if I can own a pistol in Maryland.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

Based solely on the information you have provided, there isn't anything in Federal or Maryland law that would automatically prohibit you from purchasing a handgun. The following categories of people are ineligible to purchase a firearm in the State of Maryland: A fugitive from justice; convicted felon; someone convicted of crime of violence; habitual drunkard; an addict/habitual user of narcotics/amphetamines/barbiturates; or someone who spent more than 30 consecutive days in mental institution for treatment; 6. Under 21 yrs.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I worry about my DWI (does this prove a hibitual drunkerd?) I think not because my record shows no habit (i.e. two convictions) and as far as an addict, I could prove that I only have one charge that resulted in a guilty charge (The DWI was a sucessful PBJ compleation.) What you have you given me was appreciated but I read that in Maryland gun law. Can it be that simple?
No, one DUI does not make you a habitual drunkard. There would need to be a pattern of DUI's or alcohol related misconduct. Yes, it can be that simple. That is what laws are supposed to be (although it isn't always the case.) You can see what the State says about this issue at: http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html