Criminal Law

My son was in a car accident. His friend was driving and hit…

My son was in a...
My son was in a car accident. His friend was driving and hit someone. His "friend" begged my son to say that he (my son) was driving becasue his friend doesn't have a license and thought he would be arrested. It turns out that the kid also did not have insurance and now the lady that was hit, is not trying to sue my son. The accident was two... Read full answer
My son was in a car accident. His friend was driving and hit someone. His "friend" begged my son to say that he (my son) was driving becasue his friend doesn't have a license and thought he would be arrested. It turns out that the kid also did not have insurance and now the lady that was hit, is not trying to sue my son. The accident was two weeks ago and my son just told me. Should we go to the police station and tell them police what happened? What will happen to my son?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2011
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Yes, immediately go to the police station and tell them what really happened.

Is there any way to verify his statements - did the victim see who was driving or anyone see the "friend" drive?
I'm not sure if the victim saw anything. My son was actually afraid of this kid and thats why he did it. He said it was by a gas station, I'm going to see if they have cameras.
That would be an option certainly - to see if the gas station had cameras showing who drove away from the scene.

In reality - if you contact the police they will contact the gas station if the "friend" doesn't admit to driving the vehicle for purposes of pursuing the matter.

The police will contact the friend - if he doesn't admit to driving the vehicle at the time of the accident they will investigate and most likely be able to come up with videos somewhere or a witness somewhere.

Usually they will just threaten the "friend" with what will happen if he doesn't admit to such AND that they have to prove it at trial. Then, because he's scared of the potential and real problems that would result from that - they break-down and admit/confess that they were the driver.

You absolutely don't want your son taking the"hit" for this - who knows how injured the person is - now or in 6 months or later.

Yes, the police will scold him - but they also need his testimony potentially so they will most likely just give him a verbal tongue thrashing and that's it.

Please ask for "Law Pro" if you have any further future questions!

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.

Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I was hit in an accident about 2 weeks, while driving a
I was hit in an accident about 2 weeks, while driving a rental. I was not listed on the rental but I paid for it. The person that hit me is a police officer who is currently on leave. He was driving d… read more
Judge Bill K ret.
Judge Bill K ret.
retired,
Live in Georgia and my son backed into a car at college
Live in Georgia and my son backed into a car at college parking lot. They both backed out at the same time an hit each other He gave the lady is insurance cars and drivers license. What should we do. … read more
Jessica B
Jessica B
My boyfriend used my car crashed it and left the scene, i
My boyfriend used my car crashed it and left the scene, i just found out it happened sunday morning... he wants me to take ghe blame bc he was convicted in the past of a dui. I asked him to go make a … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
How after a hit and run accident can a driver be arrested?
How long after a hit and run accident can a driver be arrested? And what if they deny the accident even occurred? Is there any way to look up whether that driver has a warrant out for his arrest using… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My car was involved in a bit and run today the person that
My car was involved in a bit and run today the person that was driving my car did not stop becAuse he doesn't have a driver's license but he bearly hit the motorcycle . … read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
Bellow is a question i asked two days ago and got answered:
Bellow is a question i asked two days ago and got answered: "My sons 2013 scion was stolen 2 weeks ago and was found in the middle of the street abandoned. It had been driven over a center divider. Th… read more
AttyDort
AttyDort
Attorney at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
You just answered my question regarding house arrest
You just answered my question regarding house arrest questioning it probably was for a more serious reason than traffice violation. What transpired was my son was driving home when a lady pulled right… read more
When driving a few days ago my car was hit while I was at a
When driving a few days ago my car was hit while I was at a stop light. We pulled into a parking lot and I got their insurance info. Under the impression I needed a police report, I tried to call the … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My son was driving a friends car in Cleveland without insurance
My son was driving a friends car in Cleveland without insurance or a drivers license. He hit a pole and there were 2 witness and they reported it to the police he left the scene of the accident becaus… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Hello I had an accident on Sept 18, I side swiped a parked
Hello I had an accident on Sept 18, I side swiped a parked car so thank god no one was hurt except me, I apparently passed out and hit my head on my steering wheel causing a large bump on my eyebrow a… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Hi Im currently dealing with a motor vehicle accident where
Hi I'm currently dealing with a motor vehicle accident where MY car was involved in a hit and run. I'm currently on 3 years of probation, and 5 yrs suspended time. Here is the situation, (4/20/13) I w… read more
Litigation Attorney,
This question pertains to an auto accident and auto insurance.
This question pertains to an auto accident and auto insurance. On Dec 14, 2012, my 17 yr old son was pulling out of a parking spot in the high school parking lot. The car moved a little bit from the s… read more
Stop searching for answers—
my son is 14 years old and he, along with other 4 kids decided
my son is 14 years old and he, along with other 4 kids decided to drive a car, which my son did not take, but drove it. can he be persecuted for child endangerment and or theft auto? there is no evide… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
My son was at a party while at school (va). Everyone had be
My son was at a party while at school (va). Everyone had been drinking, including him, and as a joke left with a computer. It was returned the next day but that person filed a police report. She also … read more
My son was in a car accident in Ga. He was hit head on when
My son was in a car accident in Ga. He was hit head on when a truck ran a red light. A joint was in the car. My son was not smoking or high at the time of the accident. He was charged with driving und… read more
Cedric
Cedric
Attorney at Law,
Should i sue if i was a victim of a hit and run accident The
Should i sue if i was a victim of a hit and run accident? The parents of the son told me they turned him into court because of it, but other than that they're not so willing to take care of my car. Th… read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
My friend clipped another cars bumper turning in to her street.
My friend clipped another cars bumper turning in to her street. She stopped talked to the lady who said no damage and not hurt. My friend left. The lady followed her home and took her license. Then ca… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
MY son is 18 and in college, he allowed an aquaitance
MY son is 18 and in college, he allowed an aquaintance to use his car, the guy hit another vehicle and fled the scene my son had no knowledge of this, my son''s car was identified by police because a … read more
Guru_Guy
Guru_Guy