Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

How do you write a letter explaining a criminal conviction?

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question.

First of all, if you have had no subsequent convictions, the only way this would potentially interfere with your application is if you failed to acknowledge what happened. The crime is not serious and it is remote in time; people are entitled to make a mistake or two in their lives, and the only reason this would be a concern for any state licensing boards is if they had reason to believe that the prior conviction reflects on your current character, so the letter needs two things:

1. A brief description of the conviction;
2. What has changed since then that might reflect that this event is behind you.

Please allow me to provide a sample:

On or about April 1, 1983, I was convicted for misdemeanor theft. Although this blemish is a part of my past, I have since dedicated myself to ensuring that it did not define my future. In the 28 years since the conviction, I have worked as in business, raised children, and learned to play the piano. I found my ultimate calling when I started studying nursing. If you have any specific concerns regarding this part of my personal history or how it reflects on my current abilities to effectively represent the nursing profession, I am happy to provide whatever additional information you may seek.

Very truly yours,

You

Don't dwell on it, be straightforward, describe what has changed, and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.