Criminal Law

Hello. In August of 2009, I was charged with a petty theft…

Customer Question
Hello. In August of 2009...
Hello. In August of 2009, I was charged with a petty theft charge in orlando, fl. I completed pretrial diversion and the case was dismissed by the state. I have recently acquired my nursing license and am going through a background check with a hospital. On the application, I put "no" for the question: have you... Read full answer
Hello. In August of 2009, I was charged with a petty theft charge in orlando, fl. I completed pretrial diversion and the case was dismissed by the state. I have recently acquired my nursing license and am going through a background check with a hospital. On the application, I put "no" for the question: have you ever been convicted in a court of law, pleaded nolo contendere, been placed on probation, or had adjudication withheld to an offense other than a minor traffic violation? Was this a mistake because the petty theft charge shows on my background check with the status of "Nolle Prosequi". The hospital no longer is offering me employment, but I have 3 days to dispute this. I have gone to the local police department and got a copy of the final disposition, as well as a certified copy from the courthouse. I plan on faxing these papers to them. I was never arrested so I am including that as well. I do not know what my other options are except for the fact that I answered "no" to that question on the application. My question is: should I have put "yes" or was I ok for putting no?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Can you please tell me what state this is in?
florida
Thank you. And my apologies, you did say FL originally, but I did not see this.

This is a two step matter.

What's on Your Record?
Many individuals believe that if you complete pre-trial diversion, the record goes away. This is not true. The record consists of two parts - an arrest and a conviction. When you complete pre-trial diversion, your conviction is erased (or rather, the whole case is dismissed). But your arrest record stays on! You have to file a further petition to expunge your arrest. This consists of two steps:

http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=4925

http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=4195

This is for Hills County, but the law is the same in all of FL - you should call your county to get this packet.

Once you do this, your arrest is then also expunged.

So What Do I Write?
If you only did pretial diversion, that means you can write that you were never convicted of anything, but you have to write that you were arrested if they ask.

If you complete pretrial diversion and expunge, then it is "no" to both conviction and arrest.

Here, the hospital likely found your arrest and even though you were not convicted, they may have not been happy with the arrest part. So they did not withdraw the offer necessarily because you lied on the form (which you did not since the question asked about a conviction), but because they simply found said arrest.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.
But I was also NEVER arrested. I stated that in my original question. I have a copy of the trespass warning that was given to me and on top, it clearly states I was not arrested for the incident. This is why I am so confused on how to have answered that question on the application.
Sorry, perhaps I was being too generic. Simply change the word "arrested" to "charged." I was merely using "arrested" since most charges do come with an arrest.

So:

What's on Your Record?
Many individuals believe that if you complete pre-trial diversion, the record goes away. This is not true. The record consists of two parts - a charge and a conviction. When you complete pre-trial diversion, your conviction is erased (or rather, the whole case is dismissed). But your charge record stays on! You have to file a further petition to expunge the charges. This consists of two steps:

Once you do this, your charges will also be expunged.

So What Do I Write?

If you complete pretrial diversion and expunge, then it is "no" to both conviction and the charge.

I hope this clears it up. And yes, you were charged in this incident.

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).
I do not feel like my question has been answered though. Was I wrong for putting "no" to the question: have you ever been convicted in a court of law, pleaded nolo contendere, been placed on probation, or had adjudication withheld to an offense other than a minor traffic violation? This is the only question on the application in regards to criminal background...
I do not mean to cause confusion. Allow me to answer simply:

Was I wrong for putting "no" to the question: have you ever been convicted in a court of law, pleaded nolo contendere, been placed on probation, or had adjudication withheld to an offense other than a minor traffic violation? This is the only question on the application in regards to criminal background...

Here, you were wrong in putting "no," because your pre-trial diversion was "adjudication withheld."

Notice the question asks: "have you ever been convicted in a court of law, pleaded nolo contendere, been placed on probation, or had adjudication withheld to an offense other than a minor traffic violation?

So the answer is unfortunately you were wrong in putting "no" at this point.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a question. My niece is a nurse in Florida's and got
Hi. I have a question. My niece is a nurse in Florida's and got her self into trouble about a year ago she took a check from her place of employment and cashed it . I believe it was under 1,000.00. Sh… read more
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Been convicted of a felony, had adjudication withheld on a
Been convicted of a felony, had adjudication withheld on a felony, pled nolo contendere to a felony, or entered into a pre-trial agreement for a felony? … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I have a job offer and they have give me a background check.
I have a job offer and they have give me a background check. A little under seven years ago, I was arrested for misdemeanor DUI in Kansas. I completed a pretrial diversion program and had the charge d… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I was charged theft U/100 2 days ago. i was given a
Hi I was charged theft U/100 2 days ago. i was given a citation. I have stolen the item worth $7.… read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
I am trying to find out if I need to disclose an arrest that
I am trying to find out if I need to disclose an arrest that happened when I was a juvenile. It was a petty theft charge and the files are sealed. I am 19 now and have no other charges. I am having a … read more
Lawyer,
I have a stalking charge and I am trying to pass a level 2
I have a stalking charge and I am trying to pass a level 2 background check. It happened in April 2013, They filed for a restraining order based on hearsay and I was served with a temporary injunction… read more
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hello, I have recently been offered a job with Diebold
Hello, I have recently been offered a job with Diebold INC. But my employment is contingent upon a successful background check and drug screen. While the drug screening will not be a problem for me, t… read more
Litigation Attorney,
Am I eligible to seal FS 812.014(2b) if adjudication withheld
Am I eligible to seal FS 812.014(2b) if adjudication withheld and I pled nolo contendere. I also had a charge on my docket of FS 817.034(4a1) that was marked as Nolle Prosequi. The state is Florida.… read more
Hi There! According to FDLE, am I eligible to seal FS 817.034(2b)
Hi There! According to FDLE, am I eligible to seal FS 817.034(2b) if adjudication withheld and I pled nolo contendere. FS 817.034(4a1) was marked as Nolle Prosequi. In addition, my VOP was adjudicatio… read more
Thelawman2
Thelawman2
I was charged with petty theft in FL (A misdemeanor), but entered
I was charged with petty theft in FL (A misdemeanor), but entered a pretrial diversion program and the charge was dropped by nolle pros. Am I eligible to work in banking?… read more
Attorney,
i am trying to expunge my record. my disposition says Guilty
i am trying to expunge my record. my disposition says Guilty ( convicted/ Adjudicated ( 2006-08-15 Convicted) can i get that expunged?… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
If I have three felonies on my criminal record, can all of
If I have three felonies on my criminal record, can all of them be sealed or expunged in the state of Florida? The first one I completed pre-trial diversion and paid restitution, the second one was dr… read more
Counselor at Law,
Stop searching for answers—
I was charged with possesion of a controlled substance(weed)
I was charged with possesion of a controlled substance(weed) in the state of maryland. My case disposition was trial, my plea was other and my disposition was NOLLE PROSEQUI. What i need to know is on… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Can a record be expunged or sealed if the defendant plead guilty
Can a record be expunged or sealed if the defendant plead guilty to the charge, but the Judge withheld adjudication? When my daughter was 16yo (she is 22yo now) she stole the family vehicle and took i… read more
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Lawyer,
Have you ever been convicted or found guilty of, or entered
Have you ever been convicted or found guilty of, or entered a plea of nolo contendere or guilty to, regardless of adjudication, a crime in any jurisdiction, or are you currently under criminal investi… read more
Counselor at Law,
I had a case (domestic Violence) that was Nolle Prosequi in
I had a case (domestic Violence) that was Nolle Prosequi in 1993. I was let go from a job when this info came up in a background check I explained that the cahrges were dropped the company stated that… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I received an adjudication withheld in Florida in a nolo plea
I received an adjudication withheld in Florida in a nolo plea (nothing to do with guns or violence), which means in Florida I kept all my civil rights. I live in another state now, I am not on any sup… read more
Attorney,
i have a domestic violence charge from around 2002. i was told
i have a domestic violence charge from around 2002. i was told by the guy standing next to me (public defender i assume) to jus say guilty. i did and they gave me probation and anger management. every… read more