How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27475
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont know where i can get help. I have a difficult situation.

Resolved Question:

I dont know where i can get help.
I have a difficult situation. my boyfriend has done a work in nigeria-delta state. he would shipped the goods out of the country when he was stopped by the tax force agent. Now they hold him  imprisoned and he must pay the fee. But the problem is that he has no chance to get out to get paid their fee. They keep him locked. what can he do to get paid their fee so he can go home to UK. He is a British citizen. He needs a lawyer.
And they dont treat him well.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I can already tell you that you have had an online romance with someone you have never met in person but on a dating website. Unfortunately, however, this is an advance fee scam. The person you think is your "boyfriend" is simply one of a group of thieves, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere and using the web to get innocent people like yourself to send money abroad. He is using a false name, false picture and is nothing like who and what you think he is.

If you wire him money you will never see it again, If he were in real difficulty and were a real UK citizen, the British Consulate in Nigeria, where you already directed him, would offer emergency assistance. That's in part precisely what the mission of such embassies are -- to protect the rights of their countrymen abroad. If you called them yourself and gave the embassy the data about your "boyfriend's" prison experience (and got the number from the official government website I'm sure they could tell you that you are the victim of a "romance scam" where some stranger you meet on the web rushes very quickly into a relationship, but just before he's supposed to get on a plane and see you he has a disaster. And despite the fact that he's been working in this country -- supposedly -- and should have friends and a bank account that he can draw from anywhere in the world with his own debit card, you're the only one who can help -- especially since he's the only inmate I can think of who is allowed to keep his mobile phone and call long distance.

If you click on the link that says " Romance Scam" above you will see many many people who have received messages just like yours. We answer a dozen or so of questions like yours every day. The scam is so common it's a problem now of international proportions. And most of them are run out of Nigeria.

Do yourself a favor and stop fooling yourself before he gets a hold of all of your cash. People have lost thousands to this fraud. Don't be one of them

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But you ought to report his contact information to Interpol, to your local and national authorities and to London's Metropolitan Police
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you