Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

is there legal aid for low income senior citizen who will help

Customer Question
get a 20 yr old...
is there legal aid for low income senior citizen who will help get a 20 yr old criminal record expunged? Assault & batterie, with probation
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/3/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Jacustomer,

While NJ will expunge some offenses, it will not expunge others. After a person has been entirely out of trouble with the law for 5 years, NJ will allow you to remove a disorderly person's offense (misdemeanor) assault.

The State of New Jersey provides an entire "how to do an expungment kit" along with forms and instructions. This will give you everything you need in order to do this for yourself. However, if you have problems, you can contact your public defender's office. Your case is over and they cannot be appointed to represent you on your expungement matter, but they may be able to help you if you have difficulty with the forms. If not, here is a list of pro bono organizations within the state of NJ. You could call them and see if they could help. There's also a hotline for Elder citizens who need free legal services and they might be able to assist or direct you too.

Otherwise, your best bet might be to take the forms to one of your state's law schools' criminal justice clinic. Law students earn course credit helping people in the community who are unable to afford a lawyer. There are either free or have a sliding fee scale.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD