How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i got stopped from a mundelein policeman on december 17, 2010.they

Resolved Question:

i got stopped from a mundelein policeman on december 17, 2010.they took my car on december 17 and said they are confiscating it because of 4th dui last being in 1992.they gave me a dui that i went to trial for, that because policeman had baby and then to attend a class for the department, got continued several times .i was found not guilty. i fought my case for eight months. they will not give me my car back. they want me to pay for half its value of 3,500.00. in the prosses of all this , passed my time, grief , loss of my home because of having to pay a lawyer to get through it instead of saving my house from foreclosure . please tell me what are my options can i make a suit. why don't they give me my car back seen i was found not guilty
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Illinois has a 20 year look back period for previous DUI convictions, meaning they count all convictions within 20 years of your new arrest. If they have mistakenly considered a charge on your record as a conviction and it was not, then this is something the attorney has to prove in the court by entering the court record from that case to show it was not guilty and then they would be able to reduce the current charge. If you prove that they have improperly taken your car as a result of their administrative negligence then you could sue the clerk of court for the negligent reporting of that DUI charge.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions