Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Another charge

Customer Question

Hi, it's me again, I was driving on my way to work this morning and got pulled over by a State Trooper for throwing my cigarette butt out the window. He gave me a citation for this. Please advise as to what I must do to make this as least expensive/etc. as possible.   The citation was for littering.  Thank you!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

There is a criminal and a civil littering law in Minnesota. If you were cited for section 169.42 of the Minnesota Statutes, you have more to worry about than just a fine. This is a misdemeanor and can give you a criminal record. It carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

Make sure you have a lawyer with you . He should be able to bargain this down to a civil infraction. See section 115A.99 which is the civil littering statute. The fine would be twice to five times the cost of the clean up.