How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2 weeks ago My husband crashed into a car and it was like a

This answer was rated:

2 weeks ago My husband crashed into a car and it was like a domino effect because 5 more cars were involved. NO personal injuries, the cars were parked and is only property damages. He was taken to jail and released a few hours later. My husband was charged for DUI and he is scheduled to appear in court in 1 1/2 weeks. I believe is the 1st time he is charged for DUI. He has already been admitted into a residence program for rehab and he will be there for 30 days. He is very sorry and wants to change. Lawyers are sending me corresp, they want to charge a lot. I work but don't make too much. My husband is on disability. Do I need a lawyer, will he go to jail, will his licence be suspended? Can I get a public defender? I don't know how the system work or how to go about this problem. Help.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

Yes, your husband does need a lawyer. At his court appearance in a week and a half, he can request to be appointed the public defender, if he can not afford to retain a private attorney, to represent him. The attorney will look over the facts of his case and see if he has any legal defenses. If he does not, they will likely advise him to take a plea deal. While a DUI is punishable by jail, a first time offender can normally avoid it, by taking a plea and not going to trial. He could like be placed on probation,, have to perform community service, take DUI education classes, pay fines and court costs. Thank you. If you have no other questions, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How can I request a public defender, will I have to do it or my attorney who will be there. WIll the judge ask us or what?

When you make your next court appearance, the Judge will likely ask if you have representation. If he/she does not, just tell the Judge that you want to apply for the services of the public defender and they will give you paper work to fill out and see if you qualify. Thank you. Please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question. Is it wise that my husband go to his 1st appearance without an attorney, since it will be hard for us to hire someone to go with him.
If he cant afford an attorney, he has no choice but to go alone. He will not have to say anything and if things start happening that he is uncomfortable with, he can just ask to re-set the court date and retain an attorney, assuming they wont appoint him the public defendant, in court that day.
CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions