How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just had a horrible experience because of the side effects of Ambien. I sleep dro

Customer Question

I just had a horrible experience because of the side effects of Ambien. I "sleep drove" for maybe 20 miles, unsteady, on the freeway, with very sketchy memory of what happened. I was pulled over, thankfully, but a police officer, was given and failed a walking sobriety test, charged with a DUI. Ironically, I have not had an alcoholic drink of any kind since I was 20 years old (I am now a grandma), I have NEVER taken any illegal drugs and have (up until four days ago) a squeeky clean record. I have read about other individuals who have had some freaky experiences while taking Ambien. I would like to find out how to join in one of the class action lawsuits against the makers of Ambien. I don't want what happened to me to happen to anyone else out there. I would appreciate any information you may have on this subject. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.
Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law and civil litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. "I would like to find out how to join in one of the class action lawsuits against the makers of Ambien." Please allow me to say that I am genuinely sorry for your circumstances and sincerely hope things soon look brighter for you. I am relieved you have retained criminal defense legal counsel, which was absolutely the right move. In terms of joining class action civil litigation, a class-action lawsuit was indeed filed against manufacturer Sanofi-Aventis in March 2006, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, Index No. 06CV1672. The case prompted heightened warnings from the United States Food and Drug Administration to both prescribers and patients. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any similar current proceedings. If you are interested in discussing the merits of filing an individual lawsuit, my best recommendation would be to schedule a free evaluation by a local plaintiffs' trial attorney.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.