How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im on probation for a Criminal Mischief charge (less than

Resolved Question:

I’m on probation for a Criminal Mischief charge (less than $500) in Colorado. I’m performing the probation through a private company that the county outsources through. I’m a resident of Texas and received the charge while working in Colorado, but got permission to do the probation by mail-in. I have to complete an alcohol and drug abuse program, complete 48 hours of community service and have to take random alcohol and drug tests. This is ridiculous and with the nature of my job, It’s nearly impossible to keep up with. If for some reason I violate probation, would Colorado extradite me from Texas or any other state? And will Texas or any other state even bother to arrest me? Can I appeal the nature of my probation?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. How much probation were you sentenced to?
  2. How much have you completed?
  3. Was this a negotiated plea agreement?



Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. The probation is for one year. I have started the classes, but have yet to do any of the comunity service. It was a negotiated plea contigent upon me staying in Colorado an becoming a resident, but I got a job in another state and I think I might be beyond the time frame to appeal the sentensing.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
How much of the time have you completed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've done A month of Classes and been on probation for 5-6 months.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

If for some reason I violate probation, would Colorado extradite me from Texas or any other state?


  • Difficult to say but probably not. As you can understand, it costs money to extradite a person from one state to another, typically around $1,500 or so. With the budget constraints faced by every state entity, that is a lot of money. For a misdemeanor offense, it usually isn't worth it.



And will Texas or any other state even bother to arrest me?


  • If a warrant were issued, yes, you would face arrest any time you came into contact with law enforcement. In that event, you would likely sit in a local county jail until Colorado decided how to proceed. So you know, that could easily take several weeks.



Can I appeal the nature of my probation?


  • No. As so much time has passed, your appellate rights have long since expired. Additionally, it is all but impossible to succeed with an appeal as to the entry of a plea. Instead, you might consider filing for an early termination of your probation. If you can get the remaining conditions completed, you could file a motion for early termination arguing that everything has been completed and there is no legitimate reason to remain on probation. While it is hugely speculative on my part, I would suggest that the judge would likely grant this request.



I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you