How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own 50 percent of a successful business. My partner is trying

This answer was rated:

I own 50 percent of a successful business. My partner is trying to force me to turn over to her my shares in the business with no compensation to me. I have an email in which she threatens to "tell" our employees about a criminal conviction in my past if I do not comply. I also have an email in which she tells me to settle by a certain day and time, or she will "take another path" that will be harmful to me and my family. Should I file a criminal complaint against her? The attorney representing me in negotiating compensation for my shares says he thinks the police would simply consider my partner's threats "part of the negotiation." Anyone disagree with him?
Thank you for your question.

It sounds like extortion to me, which is a criminal offense that carries 2 to 5 years in jail in Nebraska. Use your leverage against her - tell her you intend to criminally prosecute her. I don't think that it would be a waste of your time at all. It's your strongest hand.

As always, I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!


Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you