Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

I AM LIVING IN HOUSTON-TEXAS. ONE TIME, I WAS CAUGHT SHOPLIFTING.

I AM LIVING IN HOUSTON-TEXAS. ONE TIME, I WAS CAUGHT SHOPLIFTING. THEY TOOK MY DL. BEFORE I GOT INTO THEIR OFFICE, I ASKED THEM IS IS AFFECT MY SOCIAL SECURITY OR WHEN I APPLY FOR A JOB? THE GUY TOLD ME NO JUST THE RECORD OF WALMART. BUT HE TOLD ME THE STUFF WHAT I TOOK OVER $50 SO I WILL GO TO JAIL (TEXAS LAW). HE CALLED POLICE BUT THEY DID NOT COME, AND HE LET ME GO. AFTER THAT A MONTH, I GOT A LETTER FROM PALMER, REIFLER & ASSOCIATES. THEY REQUIRE ME TO PAY THE AMOUNT OF $200.00 WITHIN 20DAYS OF THE DATE OF THIS LETTER. I WORRY THAT IF I PAY THAT ANOUNT, EVERYTHING WILL SETTLE OR IT WILL HAVE RECORD IN MY SOCIAL SECURITY AND AFFECT WHEN I APPLY FOR JOB IN THE FUTURE? THAT SO EMBRASS
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

Did you sign anything admitting that you shoplifted?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I CANNOT REMEMBER. WHEN I FILL SOME PAPER ABOUT MY DL, I THINK I SIGN MY NAME BUT I DID NOT READ IT. I JUST SCAN AND I SEE MY INFORMATION.
Ok, here is what you need to know. The letter that you received from the law firm is likely an offer of civil settlement: you agree to pay the value of the merchandise plus some administrative costs, and they agree to not pursue you criminally. If you have assurance that they have evidence of your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, there is generally no harm is just paying the fee--it can keep you out of court and keep you from getting a criminal mark on your record.

A shoplifting conviction, even if it went to court, will not affect one's right to collect Social Security. You don't need to worry about that at all.

When you apply for a job in the future, it will not affect you unless you signed something admitting that you shoplifted. In that situation, your name would be put into a system that retail stores check, so retail employers would know that you had shoplifted.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

IF IN CASE I SIGN SOMETHING ADMITTING THAT I SHOPLIFTED, IS THAT AFFECT MY SOCIAL SECURITY?

In that situation, your name would be put into a system that retail stores check, so retail employers would know that you had shoplifted. >>> YOU MEAN ABOUT IT WILL AFFECT MY JOB IN THE FUTURE? OR ONLY THE RETAIL STORE WHERE I SHOPLIFTED?

No signature related to a shoplifting charge will affect Social Security, even if it is an admission. Those things are completely unrelated to each other.

When I mention the name going into the retail store check, I mean that it will be seen by all major retailers. The major retailers share that information. Small retailers will likely not be participants, but it will not just be Walmart.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SO I HAVE A PERMANENT CRIMINAL RECORD, RIGHT? THERE HAVE ANYWAY TO REMOVE THAT RECORD ?
No, that is not right. There is no criminal record of any conviction unless you are prosecuted in court by the District Attorney's Office and found guilty in court. There is no criminal record here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HOW ABOUT THE RECORD IN MAJOR RETAIL STORES? SOME WAY TO REMOVE IT?

IF I PAY THE FINE IN THE LETTER, $200.00, IS THAT OK?

There is no way to remove it from the retail stores' record. If you were caught shoplifting from a retail store and admitted to doing so, none of them are going to hire you. That is the consequence of stealing from a retailer.. retailers don't want to hire you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so how about beside the retail stores as gas company, hospital, oil company....? Do they see that?
Non-retail employers generally do not participate. So, a gas company, hospital, oil company, etc. would generally not see it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How about when I want to apply for a citizenship? shoplifting will affect my citizenship?