How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I tapped a car bumper while backing out of a parking spot at

Customer Question

I tapped a car bumper while backing out of a parking spot at a fireworks display (parked in the grass). Nobody was in the other car. I got out and looked at their bumper and even felt for any damage. There were other people their that helped me look and they didn't see any either. I also looked at my car with other people, and did not find any damage.

Out of ignorance, I listened to other people who told me since there was no damage, that it should be o.k. to go. I had my five year old in the car, so I went ahead and drove home. Somebody must have called the police (not the owner of the car) and the police showed up at my house that night to give me a ticket (4549.021), even after I explained my case.

I have a court date this Thursday, and am scared to death, because I have no idea of what to expect. I am not a criminal, and would like some advise as to whether I should get a lawyer, and how to handle this.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Can you please clarify: what were you charged with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hit and skip private property. Orc. Bo x checked with a codevodr of 4549.021
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Do you wish to fight/contest the charge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was hoping you could help me with that question. First of all I have no idea what to expect in bu court. I also don't know if I need a lawyer. Not to mention what the fine is please tell me not only what I should do but wh at to expect in court
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
You need to first obtain more information before you can make "informed" decision as to what you face.

You should consider hiring a local criminal defense attorney to assist you. Your attorney can obtain a copy of the police reports, any witness statements, any evidence photos, etc. Your attorney can meet with the prosecutor and see what their position is.

After you and your attorney are able to obtain and review that information, then you will know what your possible options are and possible consequences .... and you will be better able to decide if you should seek a jury trial.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What kind of fine am I looking at without an attorney
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Ordinance violations frequently have a fine of up to $500 or $1,000. If the property was damaged, you can also be ordered to pay restitution.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much am I looking at paying a lawyer? Is a lawyer necessary? In your opinion is necessary to ha e a lawyer necessary. Also in your opinion
Should issue not guilty. Based upon ignorance
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Different lawyers charge different rates. You'll have to call them and ask their prices.

Yes, you want to have an attorney obtain those reports, documents, meet with the prosecutor and then evaluate what your options are and assess whether or not this is a case that you can/should take to trial.

I hope that this helps to clarify things.

Related Criminal Law Questions