How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tax preparer e-filed mine and my husbands taxes for 2010.

This answer was rated:

My tax preparer e-filed mine and my husbands taxes for 2010. We filed jointly. We sent our paperwork to her in the first week of February. We weren't able to get a hold of her for quite some time and when we did get through to her office we were cursed at, screamed at and hung up on by her daughter. This happened about 8 times. Finally I left her a message during off hours that I needed to speak with her directly. She called me and said she didn't receive our entire fax and needed our signed paperwork again. This happened about 15 times. She finally filed our taxes in the end of April 2010. We furnished her with copies of a voided check as well as checking account and routing numbers for our refund to be deposited.

On the IRS website it stated that our refund was direct deposited on May 20th, 2010 but we had received nothing. We kept checking with our bank and still nothing. Finally I called the IRS and was asked for the bank account number that it was supposed to be deposited into. I was informed that the bank account number on our return was not the account number for our bank. I was advised to contact my tax preparer. I tried to contact her for months only to hear back saying that she needed our signed forms again. I faxed and emailed these again. About a month later she says she needs copies of my husbands identification again, I faxed and emailed this. It's now been about two and a half weeks since I last heard from her and I still have no refund. In her last email she said that it would take 48 hours for the bank to release the funds once they had everything they needed but obviously that is not the case. I still do not know who's account my refund was deposited into or why it wasn't deposited into mine. The IRS deposited our refund on May 20th and it is now August. I can't get a hold of her and when I spoke to the IRS they said I could file a fraud report but that doesn't guarantee that I'll ever get my refund. My refund was supposed to be $5,098. I'm wondering what to do now. Do I drive to her residence and ask for my money? Do I take her to court? If I were to file a police report what would I say is the offence and would they just tell me it's a civil matter? I don't know what to do and I just want my refund.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, this is a criminal matter. It's fraud. You can press charges as well as file a civil suit for a return of the money.

Michael J, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions