Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I received a misdemeanor complaint & notice to appear / Vehicle

Customer Question
code section 4462.5, what should...
I received a misdemeanor complaint & notice to appear / Vehicle code section 4462.5, what should I prepare myself for?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hi jacustomer,

While this is a driving-related offense, it is also a criminal offense in California. The statute you have been accused of violating VC 4462.5 which reads:

Every person who commits a violation of subdivision (b) of Section 4462, with intent to avoid compliance with vehicle registration requirements of Article 1 (commencing with Section 4000) of Chapter 1 or Article 1 (commencing with Section 5600) of Chapter 2, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Subdivision 4462(b) says:

(b) No person shall display upon a vehicle, nor present to any peace officer, any registration card, identification card, temporary receipt, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, or permit not issued for that vehicle or not otherwise lawfully used thereon under this code.

The maximum penalty for a misdemeanor is this section unless specified otherwise is 6 months in jail and/or a fine of $2,000. Neither is likely. However, it is a criminal offense and it can end up giving you a crimal record. You should think of it like any other misdemeanor and come to court with an attorney. He can perhaps get this reduced to something that won't appear on your record, and/or of course help you fight the case if you have a valid defense to the charges.

If you can't afford to retain a lawyer, plead not guilty at your arraignment and ask the judge to appoint you a public defender.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD