CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I am being charged with hit and run. I want to plead Not guilty

I am being charged with hit and run. I want to plead Not guilty as I returned to the scene w/in 24 hours and exchanged insurance info. I was not arrested at the time.

What is the income level to qualify for public defender in Santa Clara county? Also, if there was a warrant for my arrest, but I appeared and signed the paperwork (Notice to appear) with a court day and they marked down time of arrest at 12:14 today. I was released but was not read Miranda rights. Do they need to read miranda rights with a cite and release for mistaminer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

Unless jail time is being sought, the court is not likely to appoint you a public defender in a hit and tun case. If there was a warrant but you appeared and signed the paperwork, the warrant should be lifted, if it was even issued. A judge needs to issue the warrant, so one may have never been issued if you appears and signed the notice to appear. If you were questioned by the police about the facts of the case while is custody, you should have had to been read your Miranda rights. If not, then any admission you may, could be suppressed and kept out of the trial.