How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son is in Calif. on a two year probation. He requested

Resolved Question:

my son is in Calif. on a two year probation. He requested a transfer to Iowa where he is from and we live. His probation officer called us in Jan and we said this was ok. He said it would take up to six mo. Now we are in Aug. no word. What can we do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
I would contact his probation officer again. If you cannot reach him or cannot get a satisfactory answer ask to speak to his supervisor.

Interstate transfers of probation are done pursuant to an interstate compact. Once Iowa receives the application they have 45 days to approve or deny the application. There is no time limit on how long California has to submit the application, but even though most probation officers have more probationers than they can adequately handle that many months seems like an unreasonably long time.

Here is a link to interstate compact's website. It has a thorough description of the process:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do we find out when his application was sent? He lost his job in Calif because of the transfer. He has a job lined up in Iowa, but I am afraid he will lose that too because of this long delay.
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 5 years ago.
You can call the probation office in California and/or the Iowa Department of Corrections. Their phone number for interstate compact issues is(NNN) NNN-NNNNaccording to their website.
Legal-Guru and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you