How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20299
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having trouble getting a job because of something that

Resolved Question:

I am having trouble getting a job because of something that happened over 14 yrs when I was younger. how can i go about getting this sealed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

What do you mean by "something?" Was this an arrest or a conviction? Was it in the State court of Alaska or Federal court? Were you an adult or a minor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When i was 20/21 yrs old me and my husband got into a fight. we were both young and acting immaturely. 14 yrs later i am a registered nurse and i am have been trouble finding a job. We just recently moved to SC from CO and i have never had a problem getting or keeping a job until now. My husband and I move due to military assignments. We have been married 18 yrs and 3 kids, one in college. The immature people we were then do not speak on our characters now
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Thank you for that information. However, I still need to know if you were actually convicted of a crime or just arrested. If convicted what was the conviction? In other words, domestic violence, assault or what? Misdemeanor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was considered an assault. I plead no contest and i was allowed 1 yr probation and my understanding if i did not do anything that year. it would be off my record.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Alaska does not have a statute that provides for the expungement of any criminal record, arrest or conviction. In addition, although Alaska does allow the sealing of some criminal records they will do so only in the cases where the person's criminal record, beyond a reasonable doubt, resulted from mistaken identity or false accusation. So, that would not apply in your case either. Therefore, according to Alaska law, you cannot have your record sealed or expunged.

If you would like to see the State's official guidance on this issue and also how to get a copy of your own record, you can find that information at:

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.

Marsha411JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you