How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been accused of watching a sex movie with my 13y/o daughter.

Customer Question

I have been accused of watching a sex movie with my 13y/o daughter. DSS is involved and reported it to the police.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
What is your particular legal question you have for us?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What are my rights? What is my next step? My child lives with my ex-wife,and I think she is putting her up to saying these things about me.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your rights are you need to get an attorney NOW to represent you because this conduct, if they are able to make a good enough case based on testimony, can lead to felony criminal charges and can have you labeled as a sex offender for life meaning you would have to register for life. Your wife may be putting her up to this, but you are going to need an attorney and they are going to need to work to try to discredit her statements about seeing the movie.

You should absolutely NOT make any statements about this to anyone without an attorney representing you. Even if they do not have sufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt to result in criminal charges, it can still lead to the court denying you visitation or ordering supervised visitation only. The biggest problem is that when child protection is involved, the accused parent has very few rights and must cooperate with their investigation, but should have an attorney to do so because child protection can be very incompetent and negligent and you having an attorney with you through the process can minimize that.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't afford a attorney, How or what help can I find. I have not been charged
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Then you need to go down to the court and see the public defender and if they will not assist you need to go to the legal aid office and also call the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in your area for assistance. While you have not yet been charged, you still have a right to not make any statements without an attorney and you should exercise that right.