Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I recently vandalized a car in another state, and the guy I

I recently vandalized a car in another state, and the guy I did it to knows my phone number but not who I am. This morning I got a message from a detective saying he wants to do a followup with me regarding a criminal mischief investigation in which he was given my number. There should be no physical evidence that I did anything, but there is circumstantial evidence. What should i do/ should I ignore it?

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Do not call them back! The detective will want to speak with you, and can/will use anything you say against you. This is a common scenario. If they had enough to arrest you, they would have already. Therefore, do not give them more evidence by your interview.

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

In any case, the only thing you should be doing is possibly calling back stating "My attorney will be in touch." Then retain an attorney and follow their advice. This is the best thing you can do in said scenario. Do not ignore, but do tell them that you will have an attorney contact them, and retain one. Do not go down there, especially alone.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi I like your answer but I need a little clarification. you say in bold to not call them back , but later you say that I should call back and say my attorney will be in touch. I really would rather not getting an attorney. So which are you recommending? Also should anything else develop in this matter can I contact you again for more advice?
Oh, my apologies - let me clarify:

If you feel that the ONLY thing you will say is... "I am in receipt of your message and will have my attorney contact you. I am declining any interview at this time. Thank you." ... then you can call them and tell them just this, and nothing else.

If you feel you will say anything else or can be bullied into talk on the telephone, then do not contact them at all.

Either way, the next step is then to retain your attorney.

Of course, you can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…