Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Finally, my son is up for a re-sentencing hearing. He was accused

and found guilty of pointing...
Finally, my son is up for a re-sentencing hearing. He was accused and found guilty of pointing an empty gun at a lady and stealing her car when he was 19 years old. He fought for his innocence and lost. Because of a rush to judgment with the woman being a prominent citizen in the community, the judge really went haywire and there were several mistakes made in the court process. Thus, the resentencing hearing and later the strong possibility of a new trial. I and some others will have the priveilege of speaking to the new judge since the other one committed suicide in the courthouse parking lot.

Question...What should and should not be said at a re-sentencing hearing. I need some guidelines because I want to put forth the best effort in presenting a "time served" request since he has already done 9 years.
8/2/2011
The resentencing hearing will not typically lead to any new trial, only a hearing about the appropriateness of his sentence. Florida law is very tough and if he was charged with carjacking or armed robbery, you are going to need to show how he was never in trouble before this and not likely to ever be in trouble again and how the sentence itself was out of the bounds with the FL sentencing rules as overly harsh. These are the issues the court looks at for resentencing and giving credit to the time served.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer