How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, licensed attorney with active criminal defense practice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will try to keep this as simple as possible as I know your

This answer was rated:

I will try to keep this as simple as possible as I know your time is valuable, so I will try to keep it in point form. Canadian Citizen moved to the U.S. at 14 yrs. old Resident Alien Card issued at 15 yrs. old Mother is American, Father is Canadian I'm not considered a dual citizen. 1996 Hit and Run accident to which I accepted a plea agreement to of 1 year jail and Lifetime probation. Registered on MDOC with a violation of Failure to stop for a flashing red light. The issue of my citizenship was never acknowledged in the courts, the court was unaware as far as I know that I wasn't a citizen of the U.S.A. 2000 Moved back to Canada which naturally is a violation of probation. I have been issued a Canadian Passport. Had a friend in Maryland who is a State Trooper run a check came up with no reason to hold me but didn't want to run a federal check in order to prevent any red flags. Then spoke with another friend who's a Bounty Hunter in the States that suggested not to enter through the point of entry of the violation being Michigan. My work is requiring me to go for training at the end of this month and requiring me to fly out of Metro Airport, which means I have to go through the Detroit border. I have a family now and this scares me greatly, I'm not sure what can and will happen to me as the original charge carries a maximum of 5 years and I know that upon a probation violation you can face up to the maximum time for the original charge. And at the same time I'm afraid to address my employer about this.

Hello JA Customer,


I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.


I would agree with the Bounty Hunter that it is quite possible that Michigan has issued a VOP warrant for your arrest which still remains outstanding. This means that if you are passing through Michigan, the authorities (customs, or any state or local police agency) could run a warrants check, and consequently arrest you.


The best course of action would be to contact a criminal defense attorney in Michigan and see if they can file a Motion to Surrender/Recall Warrant. I understand that your funds are limited at this time but this is a fairly simple motion and would require a relatively short hearing. As such, you may find an attorney to handle this for a flat fee of $1,000 to $1,500. Based on your situation, it would probably be a good idea to request a loan from a friend or family member to get this handled quickly. Many attorneys will also accept a down payment toward the total fee and monthly payments thereafter.


I hope this helps, best of luck!


If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.


Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

FloridaLawyer and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you