How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we had a party next door aroung the pool. Everyone was drinking

Customer Question

we had a party next door aroung the pool. Everyone was drinking beer and having a good time. Like a idiot I bumped a young man in the pool. I am 61 and on pension. The next morning he called the police on me and pressed charges against me for assult by contact. I can't afford a ticket, how can I handle this. Please help. I live in Forest Hill Texas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Were the charges actually filed by the police?

Have the police contacted you?

Have you made any statements to the police?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the young man pressed charges and a police officer wrote me a ticket. Yes I told the police that I bumped the man.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - All you can do at this point is plead not guilty and contest this on the basis that the act was unintentional. If you can't afford a lawyer the court should appoint counsel if there is any jail time associated with the offense. You should not make any further statements to anyone but an attorney. You can't help yourself by talking further with the police so you will have to get the case into the court system by pleading not guilty at your court appearance and if you can get a lawyer I would do so.

You can't simply get the charges dropped because you want them dropped and the prosecutor's job is to prosecute the case.

Many times an attorney can get something like this reduced to some really minor offense that will not go on a permanent record but unless you defend yourself it will not just happen.I don't know if there are any witnesses who will testify on your behalf but if there are you need to give their names to your attorney or, if you have no attorney talk to them prior to any trial that may occur.

Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will the young man who pressed charges against me be in court when I plead not guilty? Also will he have to appear when I go back?

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
It is very unlikely that he will be in court as it is not required at the initial appearance but obviously the court is open to the public so I cannot guarantee that he will not be there. It really makes no difference since the court will not hear him at that hearing. It is just for the purpose of you entering a plea.