Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Hello, I recently got a ticket for a 52 in a 35 ( it was more

of a country neighborhood and...
Hello, I recently got a ticket for a 52 in a 35 ( it was more of a country neighborhood and right after the road was a 55mph). Below is my 2 year history, what are my options? I have had 3 speeding tickets within the last year now. I am willing to do anything to not get my license suspended. Side note- the date is incorrect on speeding ticket for date i am required to appear (original date he quoted i would need extended/changed anyway). Would i have a hard time extending my court date. (ticket was on 7/1 and court date is 7/11)?

C1 IN-STATE CONVICTION
COURT: MENTOR MUNICIPAL COURT COURT CASE: TRD1102657
OFF. DATE: 06/05/2011 CONV. DATE: 06/09/2011 POINTS: 00
OFFENSE: VIOLATION SEAT BELT LAW

C1 IN-STATE CONVICTION
COURT: MARIETTA MUNICIPAL COURT COURT CASE: TRD1101309
OFF. DATE: 03/16/2011 CONV. DATE: 03/28/2011 POINTS: 02
OFFENSE: SPEED 4511.21D
083 MPH IN A 65 MPH ZONE

C1 IN-STATE CONVICTION
COURT: WILLOUGHBY MUNICIPAL CRT COURT CASE: 10D05737
OFF. DATE: 07/14/2010 CONV. DATE: 07/20/2010 POINTS: 02
OFFENSE: SPEED
073 MPH IN A 50 MPH ZONE

C1 IN-STATE CONVICTION
COURT: WILLOUGHBY MUNICIPAL CRT COURT CASE: 9D07776
OFF. DATE: 09/28/2009 CONV. DATE: 10/07/2009 POINTS: 02
OFFENSE: SPEED
078 MPH IN A 60 MPH ZONE
7/2/2011
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

There is not automatic suspension of a DL in Ohio unless the driver has accumulated 12 points in a two year period. In that case there is a mandatory suspension of 6 months. However, it doesn't appear that this will be an issue for you.

As far as getting a continuance. I assume that you feel that if you do this you will not have 3 convictions in a year. The dates though that are relevant is the date of the citation.

You can take a remedial driving class and get another 2 point credit. In other words, that would change your point limit from 12 points in 2 years to 14 points in 2 years.

You can see more about suspension possibilities by going to: http://bmv.ohio.gov/suspension_reinstatement.stm

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.

"As far as getting a continuance. I assume that you feel that if you do this you will not have 3 convictions in a year. The dates though that are relevant is the date of the citation"

Not really what i was going for, i was going to be out of town and i have a nonrefundable plane ticket which will not make me not able to go on 7/11....you think i would be able to get a week extension?

Also, I know that there is not a mandatory suspension for my record but is this something the court can decide as punishment? Is this likely, and do you think hiring a lawyer would be a pretty good way to ensure that i dont? Whats my best option
Hello again,

Alright, I see, then yes, I don't see any reason why the court won't give you a continuance under those circumstances. Usually you can just call the prosecutor who has your case and ask them to continue the case until the next date available. Or sometimes you can call the court clerk and see if they will continue the case.

Your best option with your record is to definitely have an attorney represent you. You want to minimize any effect on you that you can. Your attorney may even be able to get the charge or speed reduced, or even dismissed if they think there is a proof issue. If nothing else, they can help with mitigation issues to issue the court doesn't order a suspension. It really isn't likely that they will suspend your license but it can happen.
excellent, thanks... one last thing, not really sure who to contact for an attorney. The court is about an hour and a half drive so i was going to get something close to the norwalk OH area. Is there a good website for that, and how do i find prosecuter contact info?

So basically in mitagation i can propose that i take that class, community service, or pay a fine to get out of suspension? Money isnt the big driver here, its the fact of the suspension that scares me a bit
You may want to use the lawyer referral service in the county where your case is filed. You can find the number for that service by going to: http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/programs/ohio-lawyer-referral-programs-1

If the area where the case is filed is not on the list, then you are pretty much stuck with trying to find someone either online or with a telephone book.

As for the prosecutor, since this appears to be Huron County you can find the contact information for them at: http://www.huroncountyprosecutorsoffice.com/victimwitnessdivision
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Marsha411JD, Lawyer