How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27757
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if I paid him back and he threatened to call the police

Resolved Question:

What if I paid him back and he threatened to call the police if I did not give him 200,000
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

You're between a rock and a hard place. What he's doing is trying to blackmail you (which was what I was talking about when I said that you threatening him was a crime). And you can report it to the police, as it's a criminal activity. The problem is that in order to do that you would have to tell the police why he thinks you ought to pay him, and that would mean confessing to a crime.

So you can do one of two things: 1) you can call his bluff and refuse to give him a dime. As you voluntarily already paid back what you owed him, if the police arrested you (and if you were smart enough not to talk to anyone at all about what you may have done -- except for your lawyer) you might be able to fight the case successfully. On a theft offense if you have no prior contact with the criminal justice system, you would usually be allowed to remain at liberty while you fought the case. And if you did go to trial, your lawyer could bring out his own lack of honesty if he took the stand. 2) You can report him to the police, though you would want to have consulted with a local lawyer who can hear the whole thing and advise you of the safest way to report the incident.

Zoey_ JD and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you