How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 yr old son has been having sex with a 17 yr old woman.They

Resolved Question:

My 19 yr old son has been having sex with a 17 yr old woman.They have been seeing each other on and off for around 3 yrs.The parents of the woman know that their daughter is sexually active with my son.L ast night in the early morning hours she keyed his car and wrote f**k you on the hood with her initials under it and keyed the rest of the car.It now needs a new paint job! My son doesn`t want to press charges or have her parents pay for the damage because he is afraid that the father might press charges against him since she is under the age of 18.Can you please give me some advice!Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the 19 yr old
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Under CA law, Penal Code 261-269, "Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison." The law also defines an adult as someone who is 21 or older. Thus, while the age of consent in CA is 18, your son is within the 3 years older part of the statute for no charges to be brought.

Thus, it is still up to him, as he is over 18, regarding pressing charges or seeking restitution for the damages, but he can do so without fearing violating the CA law regarding sex with someone under 18.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you