How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was wondering if there is anything i can do to avoid the

Customer Question

i was wondering if there is anything i can do to avoid the having to testify in a crime i was a witness to?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Have you received a subpoena?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was a witness of a crime in nassau county ny. A friend was murdered i wasnt willing to give a report buti went to talk to the family of the person who was killed the next day any when i got there they called the detectives which escorted me to there office. I gave a statement but wasnt willing to sign it but they told me if i didnt sign it that i would sit there till i do. yesterday i was sobpoena and it was pretty much the same thing as when i first seen the detectives. I never was willing and i want out before i have to take a stand at a trail.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
If you are subpoenaed, yes, you must cooperate. A subpoena is a court order. If you do not comply with a subpoena, you can be held in contempt of court and the penalty can include jail.

If you were a witness, both the police and the defense have the right to obtain your presence and your testimony.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Related Criminal Law Questions