How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex-husband who is (deceased) his girlfriend stole from

This answer was rated:

my ex-husband who is (deceased) his girlfriend stole from my ex-mother in laws home which she has been living there since September - took cash, computer, his ashes, rings, stamps and we aren't sure if more has been taken
Good morning! I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

What do you want to know?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i need to know what are our options and what can we do?
Thanks for clarifying!

A girlfriend/boyfriend is not typically entitled to her/his significant other's assets upon his/her passing unless a will granted items to her/him.
Accordingly, a significant other is not typically entitled to remove items from a deceased person's home, even when they lived together as a couple.
In some instances, doing so could constitute a crime.
If law enforcement will not pursue such a matter, an individual may wish to discuss the matter with supervisors at the local law enforcement agency or the individual may wish to discuss the matter with the prosecutor's office. Either option can potentially be helpful in getting the state to pursue a matter.
Regardless of the state's action, an affected individual or the estate may have a basis to file suit against a significant other who takes property that isn't hers/his.
The plaintiff may also be eligible to recover court costs and attorney's fees if successful.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
AttorneyTom and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
need more info - what can we do if she leaves the state to go home with all these items to chicago?
As mentioned previously, when a significant other takes the property of a deceased individual, and when that's not his/hers, that would have to be resolved with a lawsuit.
The removal of property from a state should not typically prevent a party from recovering the value of the property via a lawsuit.
That said, in some instances,when monetary damages may be unable to compensate for the loss, injunctive relief to prevent the removal of or disposal of property may also be an appropriate remedy.
Your next step is to immediately take this matter to your attorney, as your attorney can assist you with making the appropriate demands and otherwise getting the ball rolling with any claims you may have against the other party.