Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Sir/Mame I was convicted for protecting myself agaiinst

Customer Question
Sir/Mame: I was convicted...
Sir/Mame:
I was convicted for protecting myself agaiinst a breakin. I was charged with murder. I recieved a 30year sentence for felony. I was imnprisoned for 10yrs and finisheded my 20 year parole in 2010. I am, now, interested in expunging my record. Is it possible?
If so, how do I proceed. I am 61 years old and I am tryingto improve my life.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

An expungement in DC is available only when a person is arrested on a misdemeanor and not convicted.

Thus, you aren't likely eligible for unemployment in this instance since you were actually convicted.

Roger, Lawyer
You could also apply for a pardon, which because you're in DC is treated as any federal pardon request and goes to the president of the United States for consideration. Pardon applications are handled in the states with applications to the governor of that state.
Roger, Lawyer