How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I will soon be going to court for a DUI in NY where I currently

This answer was rated:

Hi I will soon be going to court for a DUI in NY where I currently live. My lawyer anticipates probation as a result. Should this happen, what process do I need to go through as I am planning on relocating to Charlotte, NC in the near future?
Thank you for your help.
Is this your first DUI? If it's not your first one, is this one filed as a misdemeanor or as a felony?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you are given supervised probation in New York, which I assume you will be, your probation officer will have to submit an application to the probation office in North Carolina. Once North Carolina receives the application it can take up to 45 days for them to approve it.

There is an interstate compact among the states that governs this process. The Interstate Commission's website has a flow chart of the process and answers to many common questions:
Legal-Guru and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you