How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I beleive that I am a victim of Katrina Fraud on my Waveland

Resolved Question:

I beleive that I am a victim of Katrina Fraud on my Waveland Mississippi Katrina destroyed, being rebuilt beach front house.
A contractor who was renting warehouse space from me, and was behind $12,000 in back rent, offered to apply a substance described as Granite Coating to the exterior walls, window casings and the concrete columns under the house.This in fact turned out to be a much cheaper sand, tiny aggerate rock and resin.
The signed by both parties agreement in writing was for $25,614.00 for the job, with a $6614.00 deposit, to buy materials with, and the balance of $19,000.00 to be bartered/ deducted from rent.
The contractors son, in his fathers presence stated to me that,all things being equal, thais was a three job.
After four months, and only 25% of the work being done, I fired the contractor, who then placed a $19,000 lien on my house.
What should I do. Is this Katrina Frauad, and if so, what should I do about that.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
It is at the least breach of contract, if not fraud. You are already doing everything you are supposed to be doing here. You have an attorney, which is the first step and you should be suing the contractor. You also need to file a complaint for the fraud and theft with the local DA's office in addition to a complaint with the attorney general's office and they will investigate to determine if there was criminal wrongdoing or if this was merely a civil breach of contract claim.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions