How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118267
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does michigan law state on filing a false csc report

This answer was rated:

What does michigan law state on filing a false csc report .what are the consiquence to the individual who filed this report , the case did not go to court the individual closed this case . Does anyone have access to this report even if this case was closed , but left on the report for informational purposes only.
Section 750.411a of the Michigan Penal Code, states that, "a person who intentionally makes a false report of the commission of a crime . . . to a peace officer, police agency of this state or of a local unit of government, 9-1-1 operator, or any other governmental employee . . . is guilty of a crime." Under MI law, if the crime you were accused of was a felony, then the person who filed the false report would be charged with a felony punishable by up to 5 years. If the crime they accused you of was a misdemeanor, they would be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months.

Law enforcement and government agencies have continued access to these reports even if the case was closed, but nobody else has access.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Even if this case was closed, is this still open for the public to see that i was accused of this crime? threw the internet or threw local courthouse

If you were charged with a crime, your criminal record is public record and you can file a motion to expunge the arrest. However, if only a complaint was made and investigated and you were not actually arrested, this is not public record and is only available to law enforcement and government agencies to see and not the public.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So if i was to apply for a job with any type of goverment agency and the run a criminal back ground check, this would show up on there report? why is this avalible to goverment agencies and law enforcement agencies , and if i was stopped for a routine traffic violation does this show up on the officers computer in there patrol car?


I still do not know if you were actually arrested or if they just investigated you on the complaint?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was not arrested but they did file the complaint and was in the prosses of the ivestigation when the individual called the detective and told him they did not want to pursue this any further. they did not tell the detective it was a false police report , just they did not wish to pursue it.


Then, no, it will not show up in a police computer, it will not show up anywhere but in the police reports and you do not have to disclose it to anyone.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so as you can tell i'm not real happy about this. is it in my best interest to go to the police and tell them it was a false report, and can they remove it from the police records. i have never been in any kind of trouble with the law.
Yes, I can tell you are not happy at all. You can also file a civil suit against the person who made the false charges for defamation/slander and see to recover monetary damages. No police report can be removed from the police records. Also, those reports are not open to show up on any computer database if you were not arrested. Only arrest records show up, not just because someone made a police report with your name in it.