Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I recently was hiredt into Customs and Boarder Protection (CBP).

Customer Question
I was at my duty...
I recently was hiredt into Customs and Boarder Protection (CBP). I was at my duty station for 1 month pre academy and then went off to the academy. I was in the academy for approx. 7 weeks and was in good standing. During Officer Training Response (ORT) I completely tore my Achilles tendon. I had surgery three days later to repair my injury and after about a week went back to my primary residence to get better (should take, according to doctor, 6-12 months). Literally as I was leaving training they Terminated me from CBP. Director, Field Operations (DFO) of CBP stated, " I have determined that your continued employment and your retention are not in the best interest of the agency." Am i not being fired for my disability? Is this Legal?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/1/2011
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Unfortunately, if you are a probationary employee, which you were, you are not entitled to the same job protection as a non-probationary employee and can be fired for any reason at all except if you can prove it was only because of your disability or in retaliation for filing a workers compensation claim. If you have such proof, then you need to file a complaint with the EEOC (and based on your statements and the timing, it appears at least as though you have some circumstantial proof of termination because of your injury).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer