How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27538
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I missed court due to doctors instructions to stay of my feet.

Customer Question

I missed court due to doctor's instructions to stay of my feet. My mother attended court and a fine was applied for failure to repair dwelling. Is the Failure to Repair dwellingor failure to appear a criminal charge for me and how can I get it dismissed or removed from my record.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 years ago.

Since your mother is not an attorney, she could not appear on your behalf. SInce you were ordered by the doctor to stay off your feet, you needed to contact the court and file a motion for a continuance and ask the court to re-set the court date, as a result of your condition. SInce you failed to appear without cause, the court imposed the appropriate fine. If the citation was issued by the city, it is likely it was a civil issue, not criminal and would not appear on your record. If you want, you can try and ask for a re-hearing on the matter and advise the court, with documentation, about the reason you could not there AND that you have defenses to this. Thank you and good luck. Please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer. Without clicking accept, I will not get any credit for my help.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 years ago.
Do you have all the documentation?