How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a Bail bondsman revoke bail for late or non payment of

This answer was rated:

Can a Bail bondsman revoke bail for late or non payment of posted bail?

My son was charged as an adult in Jan 2011. He was out on bail in Feb 2011. In March 2011, he received bail and was released from jail into my custody. The Circuit Court of Maryland granted him a a juvenille waiver from the aformentioned charges of Jan 2011 in May 2011. Consequently, his circuit court case was dismissed, and he received a juvenille case number.

Due to more financial hardships out of our control we did not pay the bondsman's fee last month, and now the bondsman is threatening to revovke the bail and send him back to jail. I have read from a few law journals that they caan't do this. They can't revoke bail simply because one is late or missing payments.

Would you confirm or refute this position: "Can bail be revoked for non or late payment?"
Yes, if the bond payments are not made or are late, the bond contract that was signed allows them to cancel the bond which would mean that the court would order the person placed back in jail until a new bond is posted. The bond is a contract, they can hold someone in default and terminate the contract and they would have to go to the court where the bond was posted to cancel the bond.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The criminal case was dismissed and he is now being tried as a juvenille. So there is no longer a bail required of him. Therefore, I can see the bond person could use legal resources to secure my unpaid debt. What I don't see is how they can put him back in jail when that court has dismissed the case as he is now being tried as a juvenille
I did not understand the court dismissed the case. You have to go to the juvenile court over this and then it is up to the juvenile judge to decide. Also, if the juvenile judge decides no bond is required, it becomes a breach of contract claim and they will sue you for the money owed.