How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20237
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if someone reported me on a dating site to my local police

Customer Question

if someone reported me on a dating site to my local police station but he i think he onky knows my last name or screen name but he emailed and said the police are investigating it how can i find out if its ture
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

I apologize but I am not sure I understand your question. Can you clarify what that is? Are you asking how you can find out if a complaint or police report has been filed against you? What is it that you allegedly did that was illegal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
someone on a dating site that i joined got pissed at me said he was reporting me to my local police station and didnt say for what i think he knows my last name or he knows my screen name i got an email from him today saying the police are investigating it how do i find out if they are
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

You can call the police station and ask them directly. However, if they aren't ready to "interview" you, they aren't likely to admit they have a complaint sworn out against you. If you didn't do anything illegal, then this guy is just trying to get under your skin and bully you. In any event, you aren't really likely to find out unless and until the police want to talk to you about the allegations. At that point, you really should decline to talk to them at all. That means that you should just politely tell them that you choose to remain silent and want to talk with an attorney. Even if you really haven't done anything wrong, the more you say the more the police are able to use against you in their own way. It just isn't a good idea to try to explain the situation.

If you are contacted, then you will want to call a criminal defense attorney right away and sit down with them and discuss exactly what happened so that they can give you the best advice about your best course of action. That might include talking with the police, but only with an attorney present.

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have for the value that you have offered for the question. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the TOS by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Please let me know if you experience technical difficulties when attempting to ACCEPT my answer by clicking on the green button. That way I can notify customer service.

Related Criminal Law Questions