How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12357
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding the slanderng of my name both personally

Resolved Question:

I have a question regarding the slanderng of my name both personally and professionally regarding my work as a freelance Paralegal. My fiance filed a motion in family court regarding the temporary stop to child support/ emancipation until he coud find out where he was living, and if he will be attending college in the fall Hewill be 19in Sept. Emails were sent to me through FaceBook,,stating he DID NOT LIVE AT HOME but with his domestic partner and a young couple who have 3 young children all under the age of 4 years old. DYFS is involved with this families living arrangements...this has nothing to do with me. My fiance's Ex respsonded to this motion with a 7 page letter, stating I called DYFS, MADE FALSE ALLEGATIONS IN EMAILS. VERBALLY AND MENTALLY ABUSED HER SON WHILE ON A VISIT HERE. ALSO ALTERED DOCUMETS SO HE COULD STOP PAYING CHILD SUPPORT. THAT AS A PARALEGAL I ACTED IN A THREATING MANNER...I CAN GO ON AND ON. THE MAIN ISSUE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT THEIR SON. INSTEAD IT WAS ABOUT ME, AND IS EXTREMELY LIBEL AND SLANDERING MY CHARACTER IN EVERYWAY, AND JUST WON'T STOP...THE JUDGE ONLY CARES ABOUT THE ISSUE AT HAND~ WHICH IS CHILD SUPPORT. I WANT THE SLANDER TO STOP. IT IS IN WRITING AND NOTORIZED. THIS IS JUST A BRIEF EXAMPLE AS SHE HAS GONE TO GREAT LENGTHS TO SLANDER MY NAME TO THE POINT IT HAS BECOME HARRSSING. BECAUSE THIS CASE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME, BUT RATHER THEIR SON( WHICH SHE NOW,HAS INVOLVED ME )IS THERE ANY REMEDY I CAN TAKE AGAINST HER TO STOP THIS SLANDER AGAINST MYSELF IN ANOTHER FORUM, SO THE CONTINUING HARRASSMENT WILL STOP. SHE HAS MADE SERIOUS ALLEGATIONS AGAINST ME. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATTED....PLEASE NOTE; THE OTHER PARTY LIVES 5 HRS AWAY, UPSTATE NY.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

As a paralegal, I'm sure you know that defamation is not a crime. Moreover, the family court judge has no authority to order the ex to stop defaming you. Therefore, in order to put a stop to the defamation, you'll need to sue the ex. However, you're also probably aware that any statements -- even false statements -- that are made in judicial proceedings are privileged. This means that you cannot win a lawsuit for defamation if the statements were made in any sort of pleading or response pursuant to the child support case.

Of course, if the defamatory statements are also being made outside the scope of any judicial proceedings, then you may have a legitimate case. Generally speaking, the best course of action is to consult with a local attorney who can send the ex a cease and desist letter. The letter will demand that the ex stop making defamatory statements about you, and that if she does not stop, then the attorney will take legal action. If the defamation continues, then you'll need to sue the ex, of course.

As a matter of strategy, it may be worthwhile to have an attorney send a cease and desist letter to the ex even if the statements likely are privileged. The ex surely doesn't know the law, and the letter may get her to stop her attacks. And that's the main goal anyway ... to get her to stop the attacks without actually suing.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our session). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
TJ, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you